The American Psychiatric Association identified gambling addiction as a mental disorder in 1980. In 2014, the National Council on Problem Gambling estimated that 5.4 to 8.1 million adults qualified for having it.
The month of March is Problem Gambling Awareness Month. In light of this, players can check some warning signs and get the help they need before it is too late.
Gambling is for entertainment. The severity of an addiction depends on the players. There is no pattern for people suffering from gambling addiction. Players who drive to a land-based casino and those who play online have the same risks and enjoyment factor.
The line between being a player and becoming addicted to gambling is a slippery slope. When gamblers fall into gambling addiction, they transform into what could be the worst version of themselves.
Heather Berlin, a neuroscientist at Mt. Sinai, said:
“They’ll do it at the cost of losing their job, destroying their relationships, or losing their money. Gambling addicts just can’t seem to stop themselves from engaging in this negative or detrimental behavior.”
Preventing gambling addiction
There are steps that players can take to see warning signs. There are even Bitcoin casinos that do their part in the continuing battle against gambling addiction.
- Players must admit that there is a problem. The problem does not lie with the casinos. Players that can admit to having a problem are the first step in getting the help they need. The sooner players can admit it, the better.
- Know where to get help. Bitcoin casinos like BitStarz have a page reminding players about responsible gaming. Some Bitcoin casinos also have links to organizations that provide players with the necessary need. Players that see themselves in the middle of a gambling addiction can also talk to a friend or family member.
- Distance between player and gambling. The third step is for players to ban themselves from gambling sites. Players who are truly afraid of losing control can ask a friend or family member to help. There are online casinos that give players a ‘self-exclusion’ option. If there is none, the person can explain to customer support that they would like to have their accounts blocked. In the most extreme cases, players can delete their own accounts. us purposely blocks user accounts upon request of the player or the player’s relatives once signs of addictions have become evident.
- Turn the computer into an ally. Players suffering from gambling addiction can use technology to help themselves. There are a number of website filters and software available that can block gambling-related content. There are entire departments and companies that use the same technology, so it is safe and effective.
- Enjoy life outside. Some Bitcoin casinos promote healthy gambling. They make sure to remind players to spend time outside and to step away from the computer for a while. Players who occupy their time with other activities apart from gambling can distract themselves from thinking about it.
Gambling addiction can be prevented with a healthy balance of offline and online life. No matter how entertaining and exciting playing games is in a fiat or Bitcoin casino, these online gaming venues still promote responsible gambling to their members.